What are the essential things to consider when building a custom home?
The major pain point for home builders is staying within budget. Custom builds are so famous for running over budget, conventional wisdom holds that you should allow at least 20% for excess, unplanned expenditure and variables that have not been considered before construction has commenced.
The Hall & Hart Process has been created by us to circumvent this problem. Our pay as you go model means you’re not locked into anything until:
- AFTER you have signed off on your internal and external selections
- AFTER your plans have been approved by the authority (Council or CDC) and
- AFTER we issue your Home Owners Warranty and Construction Certificate. It is then we require a 5% Contract Signing Fee.
The Hall & Hart Process ensures there won’t be any nasty surprises or blowouts down the track, as can happen all too often with custom builds. One of the main differences is that as Hall & Hart is a larger scale custom home builder. As a result, we have completed more custom homes than the average custom home builder. This gives us greater insight into issues that can arise and building services for our clients so we prepare for them upfront that rather than try to deal with them when they occur.
Working directly with an architect and then sourcing the right custom home builder can be an extremely long and trying process. Time frames can vary greatly due to a number of factors including approval process (Council or CDC), site conditions & client decisions.
For initial budgeting, we recommend allowing the home to be vacant for 12 months. Our build times are around 12 months however factoring in demolition, a pool, finding a suitable property to live in or vacating a tenant as well as moving back in can all take time.
Constraints of your land.
Part of the luxury of building your own home is choosing the perfect location! If you’re already in the ideal location but now need the perfect home, a Knockdown Rebuild could be the way to go. It’s then essential that your design and floor plans are tailored to your block of land.
It's also worth considering if a single storey residence or a double storey residence is best. Occassionally sloping blocks may lead to a split level home design to take advantage of the natural contours of your block. Double storey homes are very popular to maximise most blocks and most Hall and Hart homes these days are double storey.
We’ve heard horror stories of miscommunication between architects and builders leading to major (and expensive) hurdles once construction has started. You need to ensure that the design will fit the space and comply with council regulations.
Quality of materials.
A quality home is constructed of quality materials. When choosing a builder, it’s important to check what inclusions they offer. You may find that you’re significantly out of pocket down the track if you must ‘scale up’ to get the materials you want.
Hall & Hart are dedicated to building a you home. That means we offer a diverse range of luxury inclusions that are far superior in quality, style and sophistication, without any hidden costs. To achieve your perfect aesthetic, you’ll consult with interior designers and choose premium products at our Design Studio.
Choosing the right home builder.
Do your research! You need a reputable home builder with the right experience, capability and reputation to bring your glorious vision to life. Hall & Hart is one of the most respected custom builders and knockdown rebuild specialists in Sydney, as shown by our 5-star rating on the trusted aggregate review site productreview.com.au.
What’s the difference between designing a custom home with an architect and finding a builder OR a Design & Build with Hall and Hart?
Choosing to Design & Build with Hall and Hart
- Hall and Hart will inspect your block of land and our Architectural design team consults with you to create a unique design that maximises every part of your block.
- The Hall & Hart Process means you know exactly what you are going to pay and you wont have any unexpected costs that you hadn't budgeted for.
- Improved and stress free experience. You will be surprised to find that engaging Hall and Hart gives you a complete architectural experience and cuts out all of the middle men.
- Hall and Hart provide a holistic view to your build and there is no need to source three separate companies; an architect, interior designer and then builder to complete your project.
Choosing an architect
- You will need to find the right architect to design your home then find the right builder to build it. It's a two step process which can add more time to an already lengthy process.
- Communication between architect and builder. You may find your architect has designed your dream home however you cannot find a builder who can build it or it may end up higher than your anticipated budget.
There must be clear, open lines of communication between your architect and builder to ensure the design will fit your block and budget. You will find there are builders who have built a trusted and solid relationship with an architect and they both work together in bringing your vision to life. Doing your research to find this winning combination will result in your build being within budget and on time. Hall and Hart has in-house Architectural designers and offer these building services to all of our clients. Our in-house Architectural designers work hand-in-hand with our construction department to avoid any future issues.